Pool operators and managers are reminded to be vigilant about the chlorine-resistant parasite Cryptosporidium which can cause gastrointestinal illness especially at this time of year.
Key points for pool operators and managers are:
- Refer to the PWTAG Code of Practice
- Pay attention to your pool’s bather load; especially during busy times
- Ensure good pool water circulation
- Have the right sort of filters, maintain them properly and dose flocculent continually
- Keep pH within range as it effects disinfection and coagulation/filtration efficiency
- Backwash filters when pressure differentials indicate, and after the last swimmer has left the pool
- Use secondary disinfection (e.g. UV)
- Encourage bather hygiene
- Respond quickly and appropriately to faecal accidents (PWTAG TN2)
- Keep up with training and encourage others to do so.
Useful document: PWTAG Technical Note 30
- Date: September 2023