Guests catch stealth killer bug after using hot tub at UK holiday resort

Guests contracted Legionnaires disease after using a hot tub at a famous resort.

The family were staying at Dylan Coastal Resort in Laugharne, Carmarthenshire, Wales.

They developed symptoms of the illness after using a hot tub at a lodge within the famous resort, ITV News reports.

The guests are now said to be recovering after being treated for Legionnaires disease, which is a type of lung infection.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) said Legionnaires’ disease “is a potentially fatal form of pneumonia and everyone is susceptible to infection”.

“The bacterium Legionella pneumophila and related bacteria are common in natural water sources such as rivers, lakes, and reservoirs but usually in low numbers.

“They may also be found in purpose-built water systems including spa pools. If conditions are favourable the bacteria may grow, increasing the risks of Legionnaires’ disease, and it is therefore important to control the risks by introducing appropriate measures.”

According to the NHS, you can get Legionnaires’ disease if you breathe in tiny droplets of water containing bacteria that causes the infection.

The resort issued an apology to the family and called it an “isolated incident”.

A spokesman for Dylan Coastal Resort said: “We can confirm that bacteria was detected in a hot tub at one of our resort lodges last month.

“The hot tub in question has been taken offsite. A review has been carried out of the water quality management operations across the entire resort.

  • Original Article: The Sun
  • Date: July 2023