Twenty-nine people were taken to hospital with breathing problems and a major incident was declared following a gas leak at the London Aquatics Centre.
About 200 people were evacuated from the venue at the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, Stratford, on Wednesday after a large amount of chlorine gas was released.
Almost 50 people were treated by paramedics for breathing difficulties.
People could be seen being placed in ambulances while others wore blankets.
Residents in the area were asked to close windows and doors.
The London Aquatics Centre was one of the main venues for the London Olympic Games in 2012, and was used for swimming, diving and synchronised swimming. It opened to the public in 2014.
Surrounding roads were also cordoned off once the alarm was raised and members of the public were denied access to the park.
The London Fire Brigade said the gas leak had been caused by a chemical reaction, causing a “high quantity of chlorine gas” to be released.
Homerton Hospital in east London said it had admitted 12 adults and seven children with respiratory problems, while nearby Newham Hospital and The Royal London Hospital also said they were treating patients.
- Original Article: BBC News
- Date: March 2022