Staff and guests evacuated after chemical spillage at hotel

Staff and guests at a hotel in east Suffolk were evacuated after a chemical spillage incident. Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service were called to reports of hazardous materials at Ufford Park Hotel in Yarmouth Road, Melton, just after midday on Wednesday, March 6. A spokesperson said a chemical spillage near the swimming pool resulted in chlorine gas making it unsafe.

The immediate area around the pool was evacuated as seven fire crews attended from Ipswich East, Woodbridge, Princes Street, Hadleigh and Haverhill.

Crews investigated and contained the leak alongside chemical specialists and a stop time was called at 1.44pm. Other emergency services including the ambulance and Suffolk police were also in attendance. There were no reported injures or casualties as a result of the spillage.

A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service said: “We were called to this incident however there were no patients requiring medical treatment so we were stood down by the fire service.”

A spokeswoman for Ufford Park Resort said: “There was an issue detected with an area of pipework in our Leisure Club Plant Room, the result of which the fire brigade was requested to attend. The issue has now been resolved and as a precaution, our leisure club will remain closed for the remainder of the day. As the fire alarm was activated, the whole area was evacuated and we are aiming for the leisure club to be reopened tomorrow once repairs have been undertaken. The remainder of the resort is unaffected and is open for business as usual.”


  • Original Article: East Anglian Daily Times
  • Date: March 2024